Make accurate claims
Make sure you have the correct documents and proof for every claim you make
- Only use the figures that reflect on your supporting documents
- Use only the amounts reflected on your contribution certificates
- Make sure that your business logbook is accurate
- Don’t inflate the value of your vehicle
- Declare all income you received during the assessment year
- If a deduction does not exist, do not claim for it!
Be honest on your tax return
Overstating the number of dependants or expenses for medical claims is a criminal offence.
- Only claim for the actual number of dependants registered on your medical aid
- Don’t overstate your out-of-pocket medical expenses because SARS will ask for your receipts
- Medication that has not been prescribed may not be claimed for.