Read all about it!
IS YOUR PROBLEM WITH SARS A SYSTEMIC ISSUE? IF SO, SPEAK TO THE TAX OMBUD
Many taxpayers are experiencing frustrations in their dealings with SARS. The Tax Ombud is there to assist taxpayers if they have experienced:
However, the Ombud may take up a taxpayer’s complaint before all SARS processes have been followed if there are “compelling circumstances”. The most significant of these is systemic issues.
1. Placing unjustified “special stoppers” on taxpayers - these are supposed to be placed on high risk fraud accounts and freeze any payments to taxpayers until they are lifted
2. SARS not adhering to agreed timelines
3. Requested documentation being received by SARS and not filed with the taxpayer’s account
4. SARS illegally instituting collections from taxpayers
5. Frequent follow-ups by taxpayers where SARS failed to show them the correct procedure for this and/or informing taxpayers how to escalate matters
6. Assessments being revised without SARS sending the taxpayer a letter of findings
7. Incorrect bank accounts being used by SARS when processing refunds and incorrectly allocated payments to the wrong taxpayer.
If you think that your complaint falls into a “systemic issue” category (ask your accountant in doubt), then you may approach the Tax Ombud without going through all of SARS’ hoops. There is no doubt that the credibility of the Tax Ombud is growing, and whilst the Ombud may still decide not to help you it is well worth giving it a shot.
Back to News Page